Friday, May 30, 2008

Remember when "Lady" Bea published this post about your top five fictional women? Well I do. It was awhile ago, but life kinda got in my way so I had to postpone my entry dealing with topic. Anyway, here is my list of my top five fictional women:
  1. Mame Dennis from the book My Best Girl or for you less educated folks, from the play Auntie Mame. She's this eccentric, bohemian, intelligent, work and win type women. She survived the Depression, the war, and even those who doubted her. Her quote is, "Life is a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are starving to death!!" Her always-drunk best friend Vera Charles is always somewhere nearby, whether it be passed out in her bathtub or sleeping behind the drapes, she's only a "VERA!!" away. It reminds me of Bea and my relationship. In fact when we were planning this blog I did everything I could to convince her that her pen name should be Vera; however, she had read the novel My Sweet Audrina and thusly refused.
  2. Ouiser Boudreaux from the play Steel Magnolias. OK, even I got this from the movie, but I later saw the play when they performed it at my college. It was fantastic. Ouiser is an honest-to-God smart ass. She doesn't take any shit from anyone, and I for one, appreciate that. I see her as the girl at the debutante ball smoking a cigarette and wearing shorts under her ball gown. God, I love this woman.
    Annelle: We are in the house of the Lord!
    Clairee Belcher: A lot she cares. Ousier's never done a religious thing in her life.
    Ouiser Boudreaux: Now that is not true. When I was in school, a bunch of my friends and I would dress up as nuns and go bar-hoppin'.
  3. Viviane Joan "Vivi" Abbott Walker from Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood. Don't read Little Alters Everywhere it's not that good and the portrayal of Vivi in that book is terrible. Rebecca Wells even admitted that she wrote what seemed like "two different characters." Vivi survived terrible circumstances. I can relate.
  4. Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables stories. Of course.
  5. Offred from A Handmaid's Tale. Seriously. She is the pinnacle of surviving, striving, female characters. I love this book. I love this character. I love that she refuses her name which means literally "Of Fred" meaning she belongs to him; instead she says "I am NOT offred [afraid]"

2 comments:

Bea said...

Yeah, Vivi Abbott Walker MOLESTED her son. I loved her in "Divine Secrets," but ew. What was Rebecca Wells THINKING?

But Miss Ouiser! She's my FAVORITE from "Steel Magnolias!" My favorite moment of her's is when everyone is in the hospital waiting room during Shelby's surgery. Clairee comes and sits next to her and Ouiser just wordlessly puts her arm around here. Also, she's got a burning cigarette in her mouth. In a hospital. HAHAH. LOVE HER.

We're going to be them someday, right? Only not Southern?

Bea said...

Also, you're damned right my blog name wasn't going to be Vera. Ugh.