Monday, January 28, 2008

Heath Ledger, Superbad, the Presidential Race, and why I should never be allowed to have a weekend to myself again...

Well it has been quite awhile since I updated my thoughts on goings on of the world, and I have decided that whilst my students take the easiest exam I have ever given in my life - this would be the perfect time to.
  1. Heath Ledger has died, and while is saddens me that a little girl will grow up without a father, I am not so celebrity-crazy that I can't see the insanity of how his death was covered by the media. While the information about suicide bombings in Iraq were scrolling across the bottom of the screen, the anchors of CNN were busy discussing Mary Kate Olsen's involvement and how his death will affect the box office of his newest Batman movie. As Beau will tell you, I am a celebrity blog reader (I heart Perez) and watcher of shows like "The Soup" and "Best Week Ever;" however, I am offended that the state of our troops, the presidential race, and things of the like played second fiddle while we all waited with bated breath for Heath's body to be taken out of his Manhattan apartment. I was especially happy that my dear Perez made a point to not use any pictures on his site that were taken of the family during their grief, the body taken into the hospital, or scenes from outside the funeral home. I am aghast to say that not all "Entertainment Networks" had such standards (I'm looking at you Fox News).
  2. I finally got to see the movie Superbad. I know, I know this movie is old news, but I have a two year old and I don't get to see movies in the theaters anymore. I love this movie. For those who don't know, Seth Rogan (of 40 Year-old Virgin and Knocked Up fame) wrote this movie with his best friend, Evan Goldberg, about their lives as enmeshed eighteen-year olds who can't imagine a life without the other, but will soon have to as they are going their separate ways to college. How much can I relate to this movie? Bea, tell 'em. This movie might as well have been called "Two Jersey Girls" ya'll. Every aspect of this movie could have been Bea and I ten years ago. Was it an Oscar worthy movie, no. The editing could have been a little smoother, and there was some down time that could have been chopped entirely, but I loved it nonetheless.
  3. Glow Bug went away to his Nana and Grandad's this weekend with Agnes. You would have thought he was going to a chocolate version of Disney World for how excited he was. You haven't seen excitement until you've seen a two year old try to pack for a trip to his beloved grandparents' house. I, on the other hand, packed like he was going to Dachau - I cried the entire time barely slinging the essentials into his little suitcase. I cried when he left and almost missed my therapy appointment (you'd think after the same time every week for the last two years, I would remember), and then cried there too. I cried in the shower, I cried to Beau, I had a restful weekend ahead of me, but instead I missed my little guy. All is well now, though, he is home and I got to snuggle with him before he went to bed and when he got up this morning.

Well, I'm off to peruse my students and make sure they aren't cheating. In the meantime check out www.skybus.com and their ridiculously low fares to come and see me!

No comments: