Wednesday, March 7, 2007

OOOLLLLDDDD!!!

Today I have realized just how old I really am. I probably should have realized this a myriad of times before (like when I graduated college, got married, or had a baby, but whatever); however, I am realizing it hard now.
As I’ve mentioned before, I am a teacher. I relate my students to caged doves on top of a ghetto rooftop and it’s my job to release them (well, my job or Samuel L. Jackson’s, whoever gets to them first). All in all, they are sweet kids who have had a rough start in life. They are adorable, silly, quick-tempered, and, in fact, do not know better. They spend ninety minutes a day with me from August to May so around this time of year the anger I had at their sometimes-intolerable immaturity has all but melted away. I am currently updating their personnel files and I’ve realized that they were born in…1991.
1991!! That was the year I discovered grunge rock, flannel shirts, and the one and only love of my preteen life, Jonathan Brandis. The same year that my now sixteen-year-old students were arriving on this earth, I was taking down my NKOTB posters and cutting up Teen Beat magazines. SIXTEEN YEARS!!!! I still remember every word to Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy” and Jonathan Brandis’s famed movie, Lady Bugs. Now, Jonathan Brandis has long since passed away (Bea and I cross ourselves), Pearl Jam hasn’t released a decent album since Viatology, and Teen Beat is now covered with pictures of Nick Lachey and the like. What on earth has happened to my world?

2 comments:

Bea said...

Girl, we're BOTH getting old. It's funny you should post this because I realized TODAY that someone born in 1989 will be turning 18. I...just don't even know what to say to that. It hurts me!

Bea said...

Oh, also...RIP Jonathan Brandis!! Our love could have saved you!!!!