Monday, April 28, 2008

Baldwin Family Crisis or Why I Didn't Major in Theology

All right. It's been awhile since you've been graced with my presence. Hopefully Bea's last post about my horrifying condition has explained why. I've got a lot of stuff written down that I need to post officially; however, today I need to write about an issue close to my heart: Stephen Baldwin.

Now let me preface this blog by explaining that although Alec and my relationship is a strong one* I am tested by his family on a semi-regular basis (note this blog about Celebrity Rehab). Recently his youngest brother, Stephen, has decided it is his place to comment on the state of Gay/Lesbian marriages and adoptions. My first reaction was to yell "FUCK YOU," but after talking with Alec** I have decided that the best place to vent my frustrations with the situation is here on my blog.

Recently Stephen called into the Howard Stern show - really the place to air your political views, especially those about gays and lesbians - and had this to say, "I don’t believe that gay marriage is in line with God’s Word, which is found in the Bible. So, what I think doesn’t matter; what I believe is what’s in the Bible and the Bible says that gay marriage is not acceptable"

Let me educate you all in case you weren't aware:
As far as my (granted limited) knowledge goes, the only place in the Bible that it discusses gays is in the Old Testament. One of the laws for the Jewish states not to "lay with another man." If you are a Christian, which I am, we believe that when Jesus Christ came and died for our sins and his disciples wrote the events of His word, we follow that Testament. It always gets to me when Christians quote the Old Testament. Rabbis and teachers of the Jewish faith have been studying and arguing about the writings of the Old Testament for centuries and here comes some new wave Christian who claims to know exactly what God meant in each passage. Anyway, that's just my view on the religious debate, but that's not the point I am trying to make with Stephen.

Here is my point to him:
Stephen, I don't think someone whose only 'main stream' movie is called Threesome and ends with a threesome of two men and a woman, should be telling anyone that Gay and Lesbian marriage is wrong.

At the latest family dinner***, Billy (the middle child) had this to say to Stephen "Well if you had a choice - if you and your wife were to die and your kids were still young, and you had a choice between your children being in foster care and potentially being physically and emotionally and sexually abused, as opposed to being adopted by a loving, healthy, caring lesbian or gay couple, what would you rather have?" He couldn't really answer, and Billy said, "Thank God Dad isn't here on this earth right now, because he would be so devastated and so horrified."
It made things a little uncomfortable, but I think he gets the point.



*Note: strong as in my love for him is strong, and he, well, just goes about his day as if I am just a "fan"
**By talking with Alec, I mean watching the latest episode of 30 Rock
***By family dinner I mean I read this on msn.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to go on a quest to find you a less dysfunctional semi-fictional family.

Bea's Mom

Bea said...

Ugh, whatever, Stephen. I saw ads for your stupid Born Again one-man show when I was in New York. It looked stupid.

Between him and Daniel, Mame, you are going to have to start replacing Baldwins. I suggest the following:

1. Adam Baldwin, Jayne from "Firefly." Hot, talented and apparently, not a douche.

2. Scotty Baldwin of "General Hospital." Sure, he's a fictional character and kind of judgy, but, hey, my mom loved him back in the day.

3. The Baldwin Brothers, an electronica band. They'd fit right in! Well, the name would. They have a song called "The Bionic Jam." How does that not rule?

4. Baldwin I of Constantinople. We love Constantinople.

Please consider these fine choices!

Auntie Mame said...

Bea - - you can't go back to Constantinople, no you can't go back to Constantinople.
Because now it's Istanbul.
hehe...that's my They Might Be Giants joke. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

The whole family is one big pile of nuts! Crazy Lib and crackhead seem to be the best of the bunch. I am still waiting for him to follow through on his promise to leave the country after the last election!

Marty Farty