Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mini-Television Review: "Treme"

I watched Treme, the new David Simon show about post-Katrina New Orleans. IT WAS MOST EXCELLENT. I was pretty sure it would be, of course, since Simon did The Wire and that's the best show in the history of ever.

It's got a great cast: John Goodman, Kim Dickens, Khandi Alexander, Melissa Leo, Steve Zahn and from The Wire, Wendell Pierce (Bunk) and my favorite, Clarke Peters (Freamon). And! AND! If you saw Spike Lee's documentary, When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts (And if you haven't, you SHOULD. It's a fantastic film. I am not a huge Lee fan but this is superb), remember that awesome lady, Phyllis Montana-LeBlanc? She's in the show! I was THRILLED to discover that when I was listening to an NPR interview last week.

Anyway, I really, really liked it and can't wait to see more. Great music! Snappy dialogue! Sad in an understated way that brought tears to my eyes! As you can tell from all the exclamation points, I am very excited about this show.

1 comment:

Auntie Mame said...

I absolutely need to get HBO when we move into the new house. I saw a clip from Treme on the Colbert Report; John Goodman is talking to the camera about the levy situation, and I was laughing my butt off.
The other [main] reason is that during this season of True Blood, Sookie and Eric get it on...so there's that...