Sunday, November 9, 2008

I've figured it out!...or, how I am going to win your arguement against Obama as a president.

OK, my very good friend, and pen-pal Henry Rollins, once said, "Know your enemy. Listen to your enemy. Get to know them on a serious level, then you can figure out where they are coming from and why. Then you can break down their arguments on a more personal level."

That being said, I've figured out this entire Anti-Obama stance that some people in the USA are taking. Here are the top five arguments I've heard and my response to them:

Argument One:
I don't agree with his policies. The things he mentioned in the campaign, I don't agree with them!

Answer:
The president cannot fix/destroy taxes on his own, nor can he make changes to the constitution on his own. During the campaign (this one and all the others before it) candidates explain what they would do to fix certain things wrong with our country; however, a president cannot do anything alone. They need congress to back them up. I realize that we now have a Democratic congress and it will be easier for a Democratic president to get bills passed, etc. but the Equal Rights Amendment never did pass despite having a same sided-congress/executive branch. And that was the Equal Rights Amendment!!

Argument Two:
That preacher he hangs out with - he's a radical! And Obama won't renounce him!

Answer:
My father is a terrible racist. He's tried to overcome it, but he's from a different era, and has had a different view on things than I. But he's my father. He says things I don't agree with and does things that I can't understand. I can't renounce him -he gave me life, and provided for me. He's not perfect, but I'm certainly not going to condemn him in public.
Obama didn't have a father, and this man brought him to Christ. As a Christian the person who is with you when you finally make the decision to turn your life over to Christ is a mentor, a father-figure. He says things that Obama says that he doesn't agree with, but he can't renounce him or what he says. I understand that.

Argument Three:
He's a Muslim! His middle name is Hussein!!

Answer:
He's not. We can see his taxes (thank you, Freedom of Information Act) and we see that he tithes regularly to the aforementioned church. Also, if he WAS a Muslim (which he is not) we have a freedom of religion just as important as our right to bear arms.
And as far as Hussein...it's a name. It means "good" or "beautiful" and is a very popular and common name. During the 1940's, the most popular name in Europe (and widely used in the US as well) was Adolf. We can't help what people who have our name do.

Argument Four:
He's the anti-Christ! It's been predicted in the Bible!

Answer:
OK, it's been awhile since I took my religion classes in college, but I took my first one in spring of 2000. There was a lot of talk that the end of the world was predicted in the year 2000. So we talked about the various predictions in the Bible and if I remember accurately: 1 John chapter 2 refers to many Antichrists present at the time while warning of one Antichrist that is coming. The "many Antichrists" belong to the same spirit as that of the one Antichrist. John wrote that such Antichrists deny "that Jesus is the Christ", "the Father and the Son", and would "not confess Jesus came in the flesh." Likewise, the one Antichrist denies the Father and the Son.
This one Antichrist is spoken of in more detail by Paul in 2 Thessalonians chapter 2. Paul uses the term man of sin to describe what John identifies as the Antichrist. Paul writes that this Man of Sin (sometimes translated son of perdition) will possess a number of characteristics. These include "sitting in the temple", opposing himself against anything that is worshiped, claiming divine authority, working all kinds of counterfeit miracles and signs, and doing all kinds of evil. Daniel 11:36-37 speaks of a self exalting king, considered by some to be the Antichrist.
OK, after all that: even if he is, there isn't anything we can do about it. But I seriously doubt that an elected official of a not even three-hundred year old country is anything of the sort.

Argument Five:
He has no experience!! How can he run our country with no experience?!!

Answer:
George Washington had no experience either. He only knew his farm and the battle ground. But he led our country during its formative years. Neither did James Madison, John Q. Adams, Abraham Lincoln, or JFK (among others). The beauty of our country is that you don't have to have executive experience to be elected. That means that anyone can be president...anyone!! Isn't that wonderful?

God I love being American.

No comments: