Thursday, October 2, 2008

Never Jump Into a Pile of Leaves With a Lollipop...

I hate summer! I hate being hot and sweaty. I hate no new tv shows. I hate crappy movies being in the theaters. When I worked retail, I really hated it because the stores would be full of annoying, bored kids home from school and entitled vacationers. Summer is my least favorite season.

But fall! Fall is my FAVORITE! I love crunching leaves, crisp weather, new tv shows, the beginning of Oscar season and Halloween. Oh, how I love Halloween. Scary movies, carving pumpkins, haunted hayrides, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and apple desserts.

Apple desserts are a must in the fall. In fact, I made an apple pie last weekend. And I'm going to make another one this weekend. Because the previous pie was devoured in less than 24 hours. I got the recipe from the lovely EGT and it was really easy! I cheated a bit and used refrigerated crust. I am, however, unrepentant. I am NOT messing around with pie crust.

Also! I made an "Autumn" playlist for my iPod. Since I am a self-indulgent geek, here it is, with occasional commentary:

  1. "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley
  2. "Headlights on Dark Roads, " Snow Patrol
  3. "Autumn Leaves," Eva Cassidy
  4. "California Dreaming," The Mamas and The Papas
  5. "The Highwayman," Loreena McKennitt; a song version of one of my favorite poems.
  6. "Early Sunsets Over Monroeville," My Chemical Romance; it's about zombies! I'm especially fond of it because I used to live in Pittsburgh, the home of the zombie movie, apparently. And I used to shop at that mall! George Romero is SO huge in Pittsburgh, you have no idea.
  7. "Red Right Hand," Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds; used in the Scream movies. Nick Cave is awesome.
  8. "Sweet Transvestite" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack
  9. "Halloween" from the Rent soundtrack
  10. "Put Your Lights On" by Santana with Everlast
  11. "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," Smashing Pumpkins; chose exclusively for the opening line.
  12. "Bad Moon Rising," Creedence Clearwater Revival; used to great, creepy effect in the first season finale of Supernatural. Also in the novel The Shining, which is so much better than either of the movie versions. Ugh, shut UP, Jack Nicholson.
  13. "Burn," The Cure
  14. "What's This" by Fallout Boy from The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
  15. "Pale September," Fiona Apple
  16. "Try To Remember," John Barrowman; alas, I don't have the Jerry Orbach version. That's actually what gave me the idea for the playlist. I was chatting with EGT and she sent me a link to a performance of this song by Orbach. It was AMAZING. Barrowman's version is pretty good too.
  17. "This Is Halloween" by Panic At The Disco from The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
  18. "Wine Red," The Hush Sound
  19. "Seasons Change" by Expose; probably my favorite 80s song. It has a HARP. How can you go wrong?!
  20. "Wake Me Up When September Ends," Green Day

No comments: